Basic Requirements are the same for a Salesperson and a Brokers License:
1. Must be 18 years of age or older to be issued a license
2. Legal Presence in the United States.
3. Must be honest and truthful.
4. Conviction of a crime may result in the denial of a license. Failure to disclose any criminal violation or disciplinary action in an applicant’s entire history may result in the denial of a license.
Salesperson License requires successful completion of three college-level course plus passing a California State Bureau of Real Estate Exam to work under a Broker:
1. Real Estate Principles, and
2. Real Estate Practice, and
3. One course from a list of Real Estate Classes.
Broker License requires a Salesperson License plus two years full-time licensed salesperson experience within the last five years or equivalent, plus completion of the following courses and passing a California State Bureau of Real Estate Broker Exam:
1. Real Estate Principles;
2. Legal Aspects of Real Estate;
3. Real Estate finance;
4. Real Estate Appraisal;
5. Real Estate Economics or Accounting;
6. Three additional courses from a list of Broker level Real Estate Classes.
A Broker may open their own office as a Designated Broker or work with another Broker as a Broker Associate. In general a Broker will have more Experience and Knowledge related to Real Estate than a Salesperson.
For further information on California Real Estate Licenses go to www.dre.ca.gov .